Thursday, June 28, 2012

Homemade Playdough - no cooking required

Pin It


I have been wanting to make some playdough using Kool-aid drink mixes.

So I got 5 cheerfully colored mixes in the store. When I got home, I only had 3...

I looked everywhere, but the two missing ones where nowhere to be seen.

So we just made 3 different colors.

(Of course a few days later I found them: in the fridge, tucked in between some other things I got that day in the store...)


It is simple, and SO fun.

I MUCH prefer the texture over the store-bought version, and my girls just loved the fruity smell of it. 
It's also nice to know all the ingredients.

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup salt
1 Tbsp. Cream of tartar
1 cup boiling water
1 1/2 Tbsp. oil
 Several packages Kool-Aid Unsweetened Drink Mix

In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
Then, carefully add the boiling water and the oil.

Stir well with a fork, and once it has cooled down (which is pretty fast), knead it well.

Divide the dough in as many portions as the number of colors you want to make.

Add Kool-aid little by little to each portion and knead, till you made the desired color.

This last step is something that my girls really enjoyed.

This made a pretty good batch, we were able to fill six containers:
(I only pictured 3 here)


I used empty baby food containers, 
and put some Wrap&Seal over it too keep it air tight.

It seems to work well to keep the dough soft.

I will definitely try this again!

My kids had fun playing with this, and I thought it would also make a cute party favor or small handmade gift.

I linked up with Craft-o-maniac.


Pin It

No comments: