Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Easy Baby Blanket

Pin It


I think this has to be one of the easiest baby blankets that you can make.
Part of the reason is that I cheated a little bit...

Originally I was planning on using flannel on one side, and that really soft fluffy fabric on the other side. But, before I actually bought some of the soft fabric, I happened to run into a simple, plain and very soft brown baby blanket. It was very cheap, too. And that is how it got started...

It turned out to be very simple, since one side of the blanket was already done.

As I made this blanket, I took pictures, and I wrote up this tutorial. 

Hope you'll like it!

Easy Baby Blanket Tutorial

Supplies

* Soft baby blanket, any size
* Flannel, the same size as the blanket
* Matching thread


Prewash your materials. 


 This picture shows the backside of my original blanket. 
Very simple, just seamed around the sides. 
These seams will come in very handy, though!


Cut off all labels.


Put the 2 fabrics, wrong sides together, on top of each other. 
Temporarily pin the corners.


Make sure the original blanket is fully covered by the flannel. 
That is why you pinned the corners.
Now, following the original seam of the blanket, start tucking the flannel under, pinning as you go.


Work your way around the blanket.


Starting in one of the corners, sew the flannel onto the blanket with a straight stitch.


When you get to a corner, stop, make sure the needle is down (or use the wheel to let it go down), lift the presser foot, and turn the blanket 90 degrees, so that you are ready to go for the next straight line. 
Put the presser foot back down, and you're good to go again.

Repeat till you're done! 


Enjoy the end result!


 I just love this blanket, and how easy it was to make this.

If you happen to try it out, please let me know, I would like to see what you come up with.

Pin It

13 comments:

our sweet life said...

awesome! thanks!!

Anonymous said...

oh I love this! My 9yr old has a fluffy pink throw blanket like that brown one and it's just so plain it kills me LOL now I know how to dress it up! :D thanks!

DOtis said...

amazing! can't wait to try it

Anonymous said...

You have just made my week!! After Christmas I picked up several nice size solid color throws for $2 that I just couldn't pass up. Too thin to be super cuddly but too soft to pass up, I had planned to maybe just double them and add ribbon for detail, but your idea is PERFECT AND FABULOUS!!! I love the stability the flannel will give them (love the print you used) and flannel will add personality! Thanks for sharing your great idea and your wonderful tutorial!!

SandyQuilts said...

Love the print.

I've been making double fleece quilts for a number of years. They make the absolute best gifts. I go a step further and quilt my double fleece as in

http://sandyquilts.blogspot.com/2009/12/baby-gift-its-boy.html

I also make them for adults .. everyone loves them.

Vivian said...

Great idea but, please, please, please wash and dry your flannel BEFORE sewing it to the fleece as the fannel will shrink alot when washed and dried and the fleece will not.

Mariska said...

Yes, Vivian is right, so that's why the first step in my tutorial is to wash the fabrics...

Thanks for your comments!

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [28 Jan 12:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Sheri@childmade.com said...

Uber cool and easy! I love when you can "personalize" something where most of the work is already done for you. Thanks for linking!

Emily said...

Great idea! Love the flannel print.

Anshu said...

It looks so cute now! great upcycling.

Anonymous said...

i have added letters on to the flannel and im ready to sew to fleece until i ready to prewash, im about to toss in the washer but do u think im going to ruin the work i have done so far to the blanket?

Aneez Jaafar said...

ok. tutorial yang simple dan mudah. thank you sharing. :)