Thursday, March 11, 2010

Layered Skirt Tutorial

Pin It

I just made this skirt, actually I made two of them, and thought this second time I would make a tutorial and take pictures to illustrate my steps. It is a very simple skirt, but by adding a layer on top, it just gets something extra! And it is so easy! This would probably work for a girl's skirt up to size 5T. All you need is 2 coordinating fabrics, and not too much of it, depending on the size.
Are you ready to make one, too? Let's start!
1. Begin by measuring the length of a skirt that fits your girl well. Add 2.5 inches for the seam allowance. Cut off that amount of fabric needed. (My fabric is doubled here, the finished edges are the vertical lines.)
2. Zigzag both raw edges.
3. Stitch finished edges together with a straight stitch, right sides together.
4. Press a small seam on the bottom (1/2 inch) and a bigger one on the top (2 inch), the top will be the tunnel for the elastic.



5. Stitch the bottom seam.
6. Stitch the tunnel for the elastic. Make sure you leave an opening to pull the elastic through later. I usually mark the opening with pins before I make the tunnel.

7. Measure the length of the 'skirt' you made so far. Divide the length by 3. Take this number and add 1 inch (for 1/2 inch seam allowance on both sides). Cut off that amount of your second fabric.

8. Zigzag the raw edges and stitch the finished edges together with a straight stitch, right sides together.

9. Press a small seam on 1 side of the fabric.


10. Stitch a seam with a straight stitch.


11. Now, slip the second piece you made, inside out, over the first piece (right side out).
In the picture: The tunnel of the first (striped fabric) piece is at the top of the picture,
the bottom seam of the second (flower fabric) piece is at the top of the picture. I left room between the two pieces (oops...), but in order to have 3 equally sized tiers, make sure you line them both up at the top!!


12. Pin the 2 pieces together. In order to not accidentally pin the front to the back I like to put my cutting ruler in between the front and back.


13. Attach the smaller piece to the main skirt with a straight stitch, at about 1/2 inch seam allowance.

14. Turn the skirt inside out and press the top (flower) layer flat.



15. Measure your girl's waist and cut enough elastic (plus some extra) to make the skirt fit comfortably. Pin a big safety pin through the elastic, and pull the safety pin through the tunnel. Pin the ends together with the safety pin and let her try it on before you actually sew it together. Adjust width if necessary.



16. Stitch the elastic together. Make sure it isn't twisted in the tunnel.
Then, close the tunnel by finishing off the part you just pulled the elastic through.




You did it! The skirt is ready to wear!!

Enjoy!

I linked this up to:
Making Photobucket

Pin It

13 comments:

Lindsay said...

Thanks! I am making skirts for Easter this year for my 3 girls! I might try this one!

Heather said...

I have 2 little girls (2 1/2 and 6 months) and I just bought a sewing machine so this went on the list. Thanks for starting a blog - I'm looking forward to more of your projects!

TheCraftInMe said...

Very cute and I love the patterns and colors!

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

The skirt is really, really cute! I love the pattern with the flowers!

Jenny Hall / Seamingly Smitten said...

I just made a double layered pillowcase dress. Check it out on my blog!

Jaya P said...

very cute indeed, i love the fabric combination!

Sachiko said...

Great tutorial! Thank you for linking to my party!

Alisa said...

very cute! thanks for sharing!

uluvreds said...

it was very easy some other tutorials are hard

Misty @Creative Itch said...

Cute skirt!! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

Paige said...

I just found your site. Thanks for sharing the tutorial.

Paige
www.ribbonsandricrac.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I'm new to sewing so maybe my question is silly but what is the width of the fabric pieces?

Mariska said...

There are about 3 common widths for bolts of fabric: 36",44-45" and 54". Most apparel fabrics, calico, quilting fabric, etc. will be 44-45" wide (and folded in half on the bolt), most home decor fabrics are 54" (usually on rolls).
Hope that helps :)