Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Flower T-shirt Tutorial - a Refashion

Pin It






I made this flower t-shirt using a plain black t-shirt and a black and a white top that I was going to get rid off anyway. It was such a quick and easy project, and I am really pleased with the results. I took some pictures while I was making it, and decided to share..
Supplies needed:
A basic t-shirt (I used black)
Knit fabric in 2 colors (I used 2 old tops, black & white)
Lace
Matching thread


Begin by cutting flowers in 3 sizes using the knit fabric and the lace. I used my Bigshot, but you could also freehand them. Since you will layer them, and put lace on top of the lighter color, their shape won't matter as much. Also, once the t-shirt is washed the edges will curl up slightly, therefore the shape is not too important.

Then, lay out the flowers on your shirt. I used 2 of the big knit flowers, and one each of the smaller ones. Then I made sure that a piece of lace was on top of the white knit, so that the lace was more visible. 

Once you have found an arrangement that you like, pin the flowers down, and start sewing. 

This was really pretty easy. I used a straight stitch, starting in the center of the flower, and went back and forth in a straight line on each petal twice. In order to move on to the next petal, just make sure the needle is down, lift the presser foot, turn the fabric so that you're good to go for the next petal, put the presser foot back down, and repeat.





 Here are some close ups to show the flowers.


And that's all!



Hope you enjoy this mini tutorial, let me know if you have any questions!

I linked up to Brassy AppleBlue Cricket DesignTatertots and jello , Under the table and dreamingCraftOManiac MondayYoung and CraftySumo's Sweet Stuff and Sugar Bee Crafts. 

Pin It

26 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful job! It looks great, totally like you bought it at the store. I'd love to have you link it up with Creative Me Monday at The Southern Institute. You can link up all week long and the link is:

http://www.thesoutherninstitute.com/2011/09/creative-me-monday_18.html?utm_source=BP_recent

Hope to see you there!

Jenny

Mandi@MandiBeingCrafty said...

Very nice! I will have to try this! Thanks for sharing! Stopping by from Blue Cricket Design

amydee said...

I like it! I may have to try this soon!

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

Wow, that is so pretty and would work great on a kids shirt too. I am a new follower from Blue Cricket Design Show and Tell. Vicky @ www.messforless.net

Katie said...

This is super cute! I love how you layered the flowers! I'm a new follower of yours and would love if you would head over to Sew Woodsy and link up this project!

Alex said...

Awesome, such a cute way to dress up a shirt. Stopping by fromm TT&J

Alex
http://craftingwithmycub.blogspot.com

Betty J Pagley said...

Love this..going to try one for myself!!! Thanks for sharing!

Pitter and Glink said...

I love this! I'm definitely going to have to try one out! Another project to add to my long list.... :)

Unknown said...

I love this idea. It's such a great way to cover stains on my daughter shirts! Totally going to do this. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm your newest follower :)

Juf said...

Very cute - I'm pinning it!
Jacqueline (visiting from TT and J)

Alison said...

Very lovely! I like the lace.

Sam Findlay said...

Cute t-shirt!

Heather said...

This is really awesome! Those flowers really make a plain shirt look fabulous. Nice job.

a golden apple said...

The tee looks fantastic. You are going to get a tone of compliments on that when you wear it and I bet all of your friends will want you to make them one too. Flowers are the best!

amydee said...

YES, to golden apple's comment, all your friends do want a tee shirt just like it! :)

Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

Love this! Great idea layering the different fabrics. Such a cute refashion. Id love for you to link this up to my fashion linky party called DIY Diva Thursdays! We party until Monday night :)

kara
www.mineforthemaking.com

Jackie @ Fred-and-Cissy said...

Great idea - thanks for sharing it!

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

Wow, this is a cute shirt!! Love it! I am a new follower! Found you on Sumo's Sweet Stuff, hope you have a great week!
Michelle
www.delicateconstruction.com

Megan/Brassy Apple said...

you KNOW I love a refashion! Great job! thanks for linking up to Make it MOnday! I'll be sharing your link on the Brassy Apple FB page!

Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

GREAT refashion!!! Love how it turned out! Id love for you to link this up to my fashion party on Thursday :)

Kara
www.mineforthemaking.com

Megan/Brassy Apple said...

thanks for linking up last week! your tutorial made the top 3 most clicked links and it's featured! http://brassyapple.blogspot.com/2012/05/make-it-monday-33.html

Kimberly said...

Great job. I really love this shirt and am always looking for ways to update my old ones.

Newest follower.

Kimberly @ mypinterestreality.com

Heidi Lisa said...

Very cute! Will have to pin it for future reference :o)

Jodie said...

Love it! Great job.

F said...

We are big fans of crafty gals over at Eat Make Grow a new blog hop. We'd love to have you participate!

http://foyupdate.blogspot.com/2012/08/eat-make-grow-thursday-blog-hop-5.html

Seaweed and Raine said...

Sweet T. You did a great job - and now have a one-of-a-kind. :)