Friday, September 21, 2012

Easy Lace Ruffle T-shirt Refashion - Tutorial

Pin It


Are you ready for a very cheap, simple and fast refashion?



All you need are the following supplies:

* A plain t-shirt with a rounded neckline
* Ruffled lace trim in either a matching or contrasting color
(See pic below, I found mine at Hobby Lobby.)


* Tread, same color as trim


You will need the following tools:

* Sewing machine
*Scissors
*Pins

(My excuses for the bad pictures below, 
I tend to do most of my crafting at night,
which doesn't really help...)



Begin by cutting a piece of trim slightly longer than the neckline.
Pin it down, folding the ends by the shoulder under.


Cut a second piece of trim, about half the size of the first one.


Pin it down underneath the first row, making sure there is an overlap.


Cut the third piece slightly smaller than the second one, 
and attached it like described before.


Cut and attach your fourth piece.


Now, it's time to sew the pieces in place.
Sew the bottom ruffle in place, while you lift the other ruffles.



Do the same thing for the next two ruffles.

When you get to the last ruffle, you start by sewing the side of the trim to the shirt. You had pinned it down with the edge folded under, so sew through both layers.
(Matching up with the seam on the shoulder.) Then, just follow the neckline.


Finish up by attaching the other end of the trim to the other shoulder like described in the previous step.


Enjoy your new shirt!





Pin It

10 comments:

Wendy said...

This is really lovely, thanks for the how to!

Unknown said...

This is such a great but simple idea - think I'll definitely have to give it a go :]

www.jbseatsandtreats.blogspot.co.uk

Katie said...

I love tshirt refashions and you did a fabulous job. It turned out great! Job well done!

Elise Engh said...

This looks great! I may try it out on one of my shirts. Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Fun T-Shirt! Great idea!!! :-)

Jenni said...

I really like this idea. Add class to a simple T. :)

Jenny Lynn said...

It looks like you bought it off the rack at a cute little shop. Great how to directions. I believe it is something my girls and I could make.
http://jennylynndesignz.blogspot.com/

Michelle Johnnie said...

Super cute and so easy. I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com.

Christine@ Projects Around the House said...

Turned out great! Your ruffles are so even and perfect :)

Jenn said...

I don't even know how to sew, but that didn't look too hard. I might be able to handle this one :) I just paid $20 for a tank top with lace just like that.