Monday, October 10, 2011

Some good advice

Pin It



When we learned that the baby we were expecting had Down syndrome,
I felt pretty overwhelmed.

I am sort of a control freak, and I like to plan things as much as possible.
I don't like to feel like I have no control of a situation.

This was definitely a situation where I felt like I was totally out of control.


I felt so worried about our little girl and what her future would be like.

We talked to some other families who had little ones with Down syndrome.

One mom gave me some good advice.

She said: "I am the kind of person who likes to plan everything. 
So when we learned our baby had Down syndrome, I wanted to plan out her whole life. 
But I had to let go of that. We don't plan our other kids' life up till retirement, either."

That was an eye opener. It was like I heard myself.

And I realized I needed to let go more.

Not worry too much about the future.

Just taking it one day at a time.

There are still days when I do feel overwhelmed by it all.

But trying to just take it one day at a time and enjoying the good moments, does help a lot.

When I try to focus on the good things, 
I am definitely able to just enjoy our little family and feel so rich!

So my little girl taught me a big lesson!


Pin It

1 comment:

Kelly F. said...

Your little girl is so cute! I keep coming back to look at her. I used to know this little girl named Clair. She's a little darling too - flame red hair and an infectious smile. I'm glad you're sharing your life with "us". Thank you!